Support something greater.Donate Now
Why should I Donate?
Giving is a human connection, not just a business transaction. When you give, you no longer sit idly by and worry about societal problems. You’ve become part of the solution.
Many of us feel the problems are too great, or that our donations couldn’t possibly have an effect. Know that even the smallest donations have an impact.
Read the stories, watch the videos and see firsthand, the lives that have been changed by donations to Goodwill Industries of Greater Detroit. We are more than numbers and pie charts (but we have those too). These stories are a direct result of the support from donors like you.
Here are some of the top reasons why donors give:
- Giving makes me feel good. Studies prove it! [Harvard Business School study]
- A story or video I encountered moved me to give.
- I want a sense of control in bad situations (like disasters).
- Someone close to me passed away, and my donation will honor them.
- It’s a part of my religion to give—we believe in helping others.
- I want to know I am actively changing someone’s life.
- I want to be seen as a positive role model.
- I feel a sense of closeness to a community or group.
- I was raised to give to charity—it’s tradition in my family.
- My generation is socially active and generous. I don’t want to be seen as not part of my peer group.
- Giving makes me feel good about myself, my family and my community.
- I want to leave something behind, and know I left a dent in this world.
- I was blessed to have a lot. I want to give something to others less fortunate than I am.
- It’s tax-deductible and the right thing to do.
Donations to Goodwill
A monetary gift to Goodwill Industries of Greater Detroit, helps us offer a variety of training services to thousands of local individuals. Our work is about giving members of the community a hand-up by helping them find employment. We are training real people to provide for themselves, and become self-sufficient members of their community. All monetary gifts and endowments to Goodwill Industries are tax-deductible as provided by law.
All donations, monetary or otherwise, support our mission and our community. Gently used items, volunteer hours, and financial support all help local people find work, opportunities, and a path to a successful future. Gently used items can be dropped off during donation hours at any of our six Metro Detroit Retail Store locations.
Goodwill Retail Stores
Have something you’re looking to part with for a good cause? Donated items are accepted at all of our retail locations at the hours noted below. Metro Detroit Goodwill retail stores feature gently used clothing and household items donated by the members of their local community. Proceeds from sales at the stores support the efforts of Goodwill Industries of Greater Detroit to help local people become trained, trusted and ready to work. To learn more about what happens to your in-kind donation, visit our FAQ page.
Do you shop on Amazon? Learn more about Amazon’s Give Back Box program and how you can use your box to ship gently used items for free!
Store Hours — All Locations
Donation Hours — All Locations
COMMERCE TOWNSHIP3281 Crumb Road
Commerce Township, MI 48390 Directions (248) 859-5927
What Can I Donate?
This list is to be used as a guideline. There are many items we can use in the store that are not on the list. There may be other items in which we will need to turn down due to size, condition, suitability or liability. All items must be in new, good or gently used condition in order to be accepted by Goodwill. For questions about an item you’d like to donate, please call Jeff Ukrainec at (313) 557-8773.
What We Can Accept
- Clothing & Accessories
- Women’s, Men’s, Children’s, Infant’s
- Jewelry & Watches
- Purses, Book Bags & Luggage
- Sunglasses & Reading Glasses
- Kids Educational Toys
- MP3 Players and Accessories
- Video & Computer Games
- Small Kitchen Appliances
- Linens & Bedding
- Pots and Pans
- Cutlery & Silverware
- Glassware and China
- Cookware & Bakeware
- Lighting and Lamps
- Pictures and Decor
- Movies, Music, Books
- VHS Tapes
- Text Books
- Children and Adult Reading Books
- Small Musical Instruments
- Sports Equipment
- Gardening Tools
What We Cannot Accept
- Mattresses, box springs or headboards
- Commercial Store Displays & Fixtures
- Large Household Appliances
- Refrigerator (learn about our recycling program)
- Wood Stove or Electric Stove
- Steel Equipment
- Large Musical Instruments
- Pianos & Organs
- Carpet or Large Rugs
- Hunting Equipment
- Medical Supplies
- Large Game or Play Sets
- Pool Table
- Ping Pong Table
- Air Hockey Table
- Swing Sets
- Hazardous Materials
- TVs or Stereos
- Baby Accessories
- Car Seats
Other Ways to Support Goodwill
Designate Goodwill Industries of Greater Detroit as your preferred charity to continually support us, hassle free, in your everyday routine.
Learn how to get started: