Under the direction of the Warehouse Manager operates the textile/cardboard baler and prepares bales for shipment to salvage buyers. Will need to be qualified to operate a forklift.
Education: High school graduate or GED a plus but not required.
Experience: Six (6) months experience as an equipment operator needed.
Knowledge/Abilities: Ability to make decisions with the help and/or approval of higher authority on occasions as might be needed. Ability to make corrections required of work tasks and to recommend solutions for work problems/complex problems.Must be able to judge the capacity of machine, work safely around equipment and perform maintenance on equipment.
POSITION DUTIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Participates in and upholds the values and processes devoted to continuous quality improvement in all Goodwill operations.
- Tends machine to compress and bind paper, cardboard, cloth or other loose materials to facilitate handling.
- Moves lever or electric switch, causing ram to compress material.
- Threads tie bands around bale and twists or clamps ends of bands to tighten.
- Opens compression chamber doors and removes bale from machine.
- May truck bales to storage place on pallet jack or put up with a forklift.
- May line compression chamber of baling machine with cardboard or blankets.
- May tie wrapping in place after baling.
- Is aware of all safety rules and regulations and observes them. Is responsible for the safety of fellow employees.
- Wears gloves when putting textiles from line into baler and also wears gloves along with safety glasses when threading or tying the bales.
- Is responsible for keeping work area clean and for making sure that fire exit is accessible during fire drills.
- Required to drive a vehicle or equipment daily. Valid Driver’s license and safe driving record required.
- Follows maintenance instructions to insure all equipment is properly cared for and is in safe operating condition. Able and willing to report any and all damage, no matter how slight to any equipment which was caused by self or fellow worker to supervisor immediately.
- Required to be in attendance during regular scheduled working hours and to keep current with work schedule and all information posted on the area bulletin boards.
- Any other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Responsible for promoting Goodwill both internally and externally, realizing that each individual is an important part of the Goodwill story.
- May assist driver on truck routes and loading and unloading of merchandise at all locations. (We are aggresively seeking Candidates with Chauffer’s License)